Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Kick ass soup recipe


As I’ve been blogging about my health and diet and some challenges that I’ve faced this year, I thought it would be fair to share some of the recipes I’ve found/developed/evolved as well.

All of the recipes include things I can get in Ghana – which is always the challenge to cooking ‘Western’ food as an expat… All of the recipes include one or more of the key foods that I’ve identified through research to be 'super foods’.

So – to start – today I have to share one of my recent great successes – a recipe that has been found, modified, adapted, and experimented with until I’d have to say it’s perfect!

Kick Ass Soup that’s soooo good for you…

1 large onion, chopped into small squares
2 tblsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground coriander
4 tblsp. fresh coriander/cilantro washed and chopped fine
1 and ½ cups pumpkin puree (I only use fresh, but canned will do)
1 can of black, navy or kidney beans or a mix
1 can unsweetened coconut milk
1 cup low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
2 tsp. fresh lime juice

Directions:

Saute onion in olive oil until soft and golden, add all the dry spices and saute a few more minutes.
Scrape this mixture into a pot and add the broth, 3tblsp. of the cilantro, the pumpkin, half the beans and the coconut milk and bring to a boil while stirring. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.

Transfer the soup to a blender or food processor and whir- it-up for about 2 minutes. Return to pot.
Add the remaining beans, cilantro and simmer for a few minutes. At the end, pour in the lime juice and stir through. Serve.
YUMMM! Great cozy bowl of comfort for those bitter cold windy days… oops, don’t have those in Ghana !
Thanks For Making This Possible! Kindly Bookmark and Share it.

Technorati Digg This Stumble Stumble Facebook Twitter
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Say something! Ramble a bit...

Visitor counter from June 5th, 2008


website counter
Writing Community